The Exotic Wildlife Association (EWA) is excited to announce the first registry for red deer based in the United States.
In an online statement, the EWA stated it pledged to make submission of samples as easy as possible.
If you would like to register red deer, please contact EWA office at 830-315-7761 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let them know how many submissions and return envelopes are needed. These envelopes are at no cost.
Submitting your sample is as easy as…
- You must be an Active EWA member or above.
- Thoroughly wash and dry your hands.
- If sending hair sample – Use pliers to grasp approximately 8-10 hairs close to the skin and pull. Repeat until you have approximately 20-30 hairs with root follicles attached.
- If submitting antler – Drill at the base into the core of the antler.
- Hair sample or antler sample should be placed in the envelope received from the EWA office with all information filled out. Each sample MUST be in a separate envelope.
- Place the submission envelope into the return envelope provided by EWA with your payment of $40 per sample made out to Exotic Wildlife Association.
- If mailing from outside the United States, a current import permit must accompany the sample.
After the samples are received in the EWA office, EWA will submit them to Cal Davis University. Once the DNA results are complete, the results will be emailed to the breeder and to the EWA office for entry into the Red Deer registry. Members will then be provided with a pass code in order to access the registry.