The Exotic Wildlife Association has issued an advisory on exotic trophy requirements to its members who have clients hunting in the United States, member taxidermists, or members planning on going out of the country to hunt. According to the EWA, there are several things that need to accompany harvested animals leaving the U.S. and those animals coming into the U.S. Please see the following information:
Info needed to export trophies for your clients:
Hunting License
Letter of Legal Take (if ranch hunted)
Authorization letter from hunter to taxidermist to apply for permits
Taxidermist invoice with detailed description of mounts
Bear TAGS-do not accept a bear without his tags
Leopard-always keep the leopard TAG in your files
Pelt Tag
If the trophies were imported into the U.S.-get copies of all
Customs import documents:
FWS declarations (3-177)
CITIES permits from exporting country
Export permits from exporting country
For additional information on any of the documents or for EWA membership, please contact the EWA office at 830-315-7761 or visit